Volunteers for careers talks 2021-22
Next academic year and thereafter, we will be offering a programme of careers-related talks to the Year 6, 7 and 8 pupils…
16 June 2021
Next academic year and thereafter, we will be offering a programme of careers-related talks to the Year 6, 7 and 8 pupils presented by parent volunteers and Old Hallfieldians.
The purpose of the programme is to give the children some early insights into:
- the huge variety of career options open to them.
- the routes, diversions and evolution that career paths can take towards finding what brings true motivation and professional satisfaction.
- the sorts of employability skills required beyond academic subject knowledge and how these can be gained.
- the ways in which the advance of technology is potentially going to enhance, change or disrupt a particular work sector in the future.
Each talk session would be around half an hour in total, with 15 mins on what the field of work involves and career path to date, 5 mins on technology in the sector, and 10 mins for Q&A.
If you would feel comfortable presenting to about eighty 10-13 year olds and would be willing to volunteer, please contact Mr Butcher (Deputy Head, Head of Prep) by 30 June 2021, with a brief outline of the following:
- what your job is and what it involves
- what career or life lessons you feel your own experience would offer to the pupils
- any times of year, month or week you definitely would not be able to be free, regardless of amount of notice
Whilst we are grateful for all offers of support, we are keen to represent a wide variety of careers and will only be able to invite one or two representatives from each broad work sector.